Whether you are looking for some simple recipes for children to grab as an after school snack or some snacks for weaning and for toddlers on-the-go, then no-baked goods are always a good option. They are something different to just veggie sticks or fruit, but they are fun, taste good, and can be changed up to meet the needs of your family and their allergies or nutritional requirements. For some quick and easy no-baked goods, here are a few recipes that you can try.
Popcorn Peanut Butter Bars
These can be made in a batch and kept in the refrigerator, and make a crunchy but sweet treat for the whole family, especially for a movie night or to take in a Tupperware on your travels. They can be made in a tray and sliced into squares or bars, into the portion sizes that you want for your family.
- 5 cups of popcorn kernels, popped
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup (light) or honey
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, smooth or creamy depending on your preference
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the popcorn, once popped, into a large bowl. Then using a saucepan, heat the sugar and syrup, stirring regularly, until it is brought to the boil for approximately one minute. Then take off the heat.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla to the sugar and syrup mixture, stirring well. Then pour over the popcorn and mix well, until all popcorn has been coated. Press into a baking tray, and leave to cool in a refrigerator before slicing.
Trail Mix Snack
Having some trail mix snacks ready to go in little baggies or tubs are great for little ones when you’re on the go. It is great to have a favourite alternative to a no-bake snack, and this is full of plenty of good fats from cashews, as well as carbohydrates from the crackers. It is best to choose unsalted nuts, rather than salted, especially if serving to children. Of course, you can choose what works well for your family, as to what their preferences are, but some ideas are below.
- 12 ounces mini pretzels package
- 12 ounces Bugles (or other potato snack)
- 10 ounces unsalted cashews
- 1 pack small cheese crackers
- 1 pack of ranch salad dressing mix
- 3/4 cup oil of choice, such as vegetable or coconut
- In a large bowl, mix the pretzels, potato snacks, cashews, and crackers. Then sprinkle with the ranch dressing mix. Mix gently to combine, but be careful not to crush the crackers too much. Drizzle with the oil, and then toss it all together until coated. The mixture can be stored in an airtight container or sealed bags for several days.
What are some of your favourite no-bake treats or snacks to have as a family? No-bakes are so versatile and you can make plenty of different variations of them. Hopefully, this has given you some ideas to get creative with. It would be great to hear what you think.